Top tips for choosing a suitable name for your online store
When business owners or companies start creating their own e-stores, the stage of thinking is to choose a suitable name for their stores to be part of the brand and the ideal ambassador of the products that the business owners have provided to their customers which turns into a distinctive mark of the store from other e-stores.
Usually, the naming of the online store is based on basic criteria that enable a suitable, innovative and non-traditional name to be chosen that helps the marketing plan achieve its goals, so we will review these criteria and tips when choosing an appropriate name for the online store.
The most important tips and basic criteria for choosing a suitable name for e-stores:
There are a number of tips that should be taken into consideration when choosing an appropriate name for your online store, which are:
- The name of the online store should be short and simple: The name of the online store should be easy to memorize and remember for customers. So, the name must be simple and concise, consisting of two words that can be contained on the store’s home page, and easy to search in the search engines, expresses the identity of your online store and to attract customers, as some stores are rely on the company's own brand, and others rely on words with personal meaning or the personal name of the store owner.
- The name of the online store should be different: The owner of the online store should choose for a distinct and different name that enables it to compete with the rest of the other stores and makes it distinct and unique in the field of e-commerce and in the world of marketing. To achieve this, you can conduct a study on the market to find out the names adopted by the competitors and try to create a competitor name for it far does not look like another name, or knowing the secret or story of naming e-stores, as they often carry certain connotations, which helps you choose a name that reflects your business activity, and makes your store a well-known brand among other stores.
- The name of the e-store should be appropriate on the Internet:
Owners of e-stores must make sure that the name can be obtained before adopting it, and it should pay attention to choosing the domain name for the online store, which is preferably be (.com), as it is very important for your business. You should also pay attention to choosing the type of domain extension that matches the nature of your online store.
The most popular types of domain extensions are:
- Com: It is an abbreviation of the word Commercial.
- Gov: It is an abbreviation for Government it indicates that the site belongs to the government.
- edu: Is an abbreviation of the word Education, it indicates that the site is educational and cultural, and this extension is used by the ministries of education and higher education.
- Info: It is the abbreviation of the word Information, it indicates that the site is specialized in providing information in a specific field.
- Org: It is an abbreviation of the word Organization and is often used by international organizations.
- The extension may consist of two letters indicating the name of the country. If the official site belongs to a specific country, such as (JO) which belongs to Jordan, or (UK) which belongs to Britain..etc.
- The name of the online store should be socially appropriate: It is prefer that the name of the online store be commensurate with the nature, culture and habits of the target audience, and away from political, cultural or social affiliations, in order to ensure to expand it easily, and to targete customers from other countries that have different customs and traditions than others.
- The name of the online store should be inspired by innovative sources: One of the most important ways to get a suitable name for your online store is to include several options of names to vote, where the store`s employees, friends and family vote on the options, as they are a good sample that represents the community and the target audience, so that customers can be engaged through an online survey.
Using foreign languages in searching provides you with many options to choose a suitable name for your store, as well as you can also think about the behaviors and conversations that take place between friends to derive a name inspired by those behaviors or conversations.
- Some suggestions to choose a suitable name for your online store:
- Your brand + main product: vertexcart.com
- Your brand + shop: vertexshop.com
- Get + main product: getbikes.com
- Your brand + co: vertexco.com
- Do + your brand: buybikes.com
- My / Your + your brand like: yourvertex.com
Usually, the naming of the online store is based on basic criteria that enable to select an appropriate, innovative and non-traditional name that helps the marketing plan achieve its goals.